Let’s admit it, acne outbreak can pose a real problem especially if you are a teenager or a frontliner in your field of work. In America alone, almost 40 to 60 million people are affected by acne. But worry no more, reading this article will help you get the best acne medication available and get rid of your acne problem once and for all.
Medicines can greatly help in managing the severity and frequency of acne outbreaks. Now there are a number of effective acne medications available in your local drug store. Most of these are inexpensive and are proven to do the job. Now here are some of it.
- Benzoyl Peroxide. This is one of the commonly used topical acne medication. This is very advisable to use especially if your acne outbreak is still in the mild stage. Benzoyl peroxide (such as Brevoxyl or Triaz) works in a way that its preventive elements prevent blocking of skin pores, while at the same time provide mild antibacterial effects that aid in preventing infections caused by body bacteria.
- Retinoid. This topical medication for acne works almost the same as benzoyl peroxide. The only difference is that it has regulating effect on the sebaceous gland’s excretion of sebaceous fluid and prevents excessive build up in pores. Examples of topical Retinoid medicines are tretinoin (Retin-A), tazarotene (Tazorac), and adapalene (Defferin).
Retinoid medications are not advisable for pregnant woman under any circumstances. Also, when under this medication, remember to keep out of the sun and from using sun beds, as this product can cause skin damage when exposed to ultraviolet light.
- Azelaic Acid. This topical antibiotic is one of the best acne medication often used as a replacement for benzoyl peroxide especially for those people with sensitive skin. Azelaic Acid works in the same way as benzoyl peroxide, by removing dead cells, and fights off and kills facial bacteria that cause acne.
- Oral Antibiotics. Several doctors and dermatologists recommend oral acne medication such as over-the-counter antibiotics to completely stop acne. Oral antibiotics kill bacteria-causing acne making it a reliable treatment for mild and severe acne outbreak.
- Low Dose of Birth Control Pills. This kind of acne treatment has shown to reduce oil production and skin lesions making it an ideal solution to acne problems. Examples of androgen blocker birth control pills are Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Estrostep, and Diane 35. Read more about Birth Control for Acne.
It is best to consult your dermatologist if you have repeated acne outbreaks despite being under certain antibiotic oral medication for acne for a longer period of time. The case may be that the bacteria causing your acne have started becoming immune to your medication.
Also, when treating light or mild acne problems and choosing to use over-the-counter medications, remember to read and check acne medication reviews of your chosen best acne medication. This way you’ll be able to gauge how effective the treatment will be, and you’ll know the risk involved in using the said medication.