Is there a law in the state of Oklahoma that requires doctors to treat pain adequately?

I have fibromyalgia and every doctor I go to refuses to help me with my pain. This pain is completely life altering pain and I can no longer work and my daughter has to help me with all my activities of daily living. I know that pain medication will help me with some of this and make my life somewhat more produtive.

Written By Evie Neumann

{ 1 comment… add one }
  • july April 9, 2009, 9:43 pm

    I live in Oklahoma also. I also have fibromyalgia. These tips may be helpful:

    1. Keep a daily Pain Journal. Use an image like this one to indicate:
    a. Where you hurt that day.
    b. What the pain was on a scale of 1-10.
    c. What caused the pain.
    d. How long the pain lasted.
    Keep one page per day. Just saying, "I hurt all the time" isn't enough for most physicians. They need to see a pattern.

    2. Find a rheumatologist. Rheumatologists have more understanding of fibromyalgia than general practitioners.

    3. Keep moving. Don't stop. I often had to "exercise through the pain", even if the exercise was just walking around the house.

    4. Some fibromyalgia sufferers find that avoiding artificial sweeteners helps stop their pain. If you use artificial sweetners, stop. It may make a difference.

    5. The FDA has recently approved Lyrica for fibromyalgia pain. You may want to read about it.

    The right rheumatologist can make a difference. If you have insurance, your insurer should have a list of rheumatologists, or you can ask your physician for a referral to one.

    Although I still have occasional fibromyalgia pain, I consider myself a "recovered fibromyalgist"!