Having an acne does not only affect someone’s appearance and personality. Honestly, it also affects your wallet. It’s expensive to have this skin problem. Those gels, creams, lotions, and antibiotics will definitely cost you a lot. Not to mention your doctor’s professional fee.
In an effort to help, we listed cheap, easy, and effective natural acne solutions and acne masks you can make in the comfort of your homes.
Natural Acne Solutions to Get Rid of Acne Fast
Here is how to get rid acne fast using natural acne solution.
- Tea tree oil acne solution. One of the best topical skin treatment, tea tree oil brings so many benefits to your skin and is widely used as acne solution. With antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, when applied to acne, tea tree oil cuts through the skin; unclogging pores by thinning sebum and dead skin cells. It also kills acne-causing bacteria, preventing future breakout.
To make a tea tree oil acne solution, you will need:
- A small bottle of tea tree oil
- Clean water
- Cotton balls
Direction: Dilute a part of tea tree oil to 9 parts of water. After washing, pat dry your face with a clean towel and gently apply tea tree oil acne solution to affected areas using a cotton ball. Wait for a few minutes until it dries and gets absorbed by the skin then apply a non-comedogenic moisturizer. When going out, apply a non-comedogenic sunblock. You can use this acne solution twice daily (morning and before bedtime).
- Apple cider vinegar acne solution. Aside from it being cheap and available, apple cider vinegar has 3 major benefits that can help heal, control, and prevent acne. First, it has antibacterial properties that kill acne bacteria. Second, when applied, it can balance the pH level of the skin, making it difficult for acne bacteria to grow and develop. Lastly, it acts as an astringent, drying up excess oil. When apple cider vinegar is properly used, it brings great benefits to the skin.
To make an apple cider vinegar acne solution, you will need:
- Raw, pure, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Clean water
Directions: Dilute 1 part of apple cider vinegar to 3 parts of water. Wash face and pat dry with clean towel. Apply the apple cider vinegar solution gently to affected areas. Let it dry and sit for 10-15 minutes. Wash face and pat dry. Apply a light non-comedogenic moisturizer to avoid skin from drying.
- Lemon juice acne solution. Lemon, just like any citrus fruit, is rich in vitamin C and citric acid. Vitamin C is great for all skin types and citric acid is an exfoliating acid that removes dead skin cells and helps renew skin. It dries blemishes quickly and shortens acne life. In addition, lemon juice can help fade pimple scars because of its whitening properties.
To make lemon juice acne solution, you will need:
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 teaspoon)
- Cotton balls
Directions: Wash face and pat dry with clean towel. Dab cotton ball in lemon juice and apply directly to affected areas. Leave it on for 10 minutes. For best results, rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water. For sensitive skin, you can dilute 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to 1 teaspoon of water or half teaspoon of yogurt. This is to avoid too much sting and irritation.
- Green tea acne solution. Studies conducted recently (Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 2011-2012) has shown a good and noticeable effect of green tea on acne when used as a topical solution. The acne healing action of green tea is attributed to its property called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), which helps reduce acne inflammation, controls oil production, and kills and prevents acne bacteria in the skin.
To make green tea acne solution, you will need:
- 1 green tea bag or 2 tsp. of loose organic green tea leaves
- Half cup of fresh water
Directions: In a half cup of hot water, soak green tea bag or loose green tea leaves. Let it cool down to comfortable temperature. Remove the tea bag or strain the green tea leaves. Wash face and pat dry. Gently apply the green tea liquid or solution directly to face concentrating on areas with acne using a cotton ball or the tea bag itself. You can leave it on for an hour or 2 and rinse with lukewarm water. You can also leave it on overnight depending on the severity of your acne.
- Aloe vera acne solution. Aloe vera leaves contain gel-like liquid that can be used to treat acne. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe red and inflamed acne. In fact, it can also be used to soothe minor burns. Also, aloe vera contains antibacterial properties. If you don’t have an aloe vera plant or leaves, you can buy aloe vera gel from drugstores. Just look for the one that has less added components.
To make aloe vera acne solution, you will need:
- Aloe gel squeezed from fresh leaves
Direction: Wash face with lukewarm water to loosen the pores. Pat dry wet face with clean towel. With your fingertip or a Q-tip, apply aloe gel directly to areas with acne.
- Milk or yogurt and honey acne mask. Although there are studies showing that milk or dairy products, when ingested, can cause acne breakout, milk or yogurt, when combined with honey can improve skin condition when used topically. These products are great natural skin moisturizers that can help reduce dead skin cells. Also, applying milk, yogurt, or honey on your skin can make a soothing effect and reduces acne inflammation.
To make milk/yogurt and honey mask, you will need:
- 1 tbsp. of low-fat yogurt or milk
- 1 tbsp. natural honey
- Cotton pad (optional)
Directions: Mix well 1 tbsp. of yogurt and 1 tbsp. of honey. Wash face with lukewarm water and pat dry with clean towel. Using your fingertips or cotton pad, scoop the mixture and apply all over your face focusing on areas with acne. Leave the mask on for 15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water to wash the mask thoroughly and easily.
- Egg with acne mask. Eggs are rich in protein and vitamins that can help repair skin and fight acne. When applied on your face, it cannot only moisturize your skin but also absorb excess oil. Less excess oil means less clogging on your pores, avoiding acne growth. Another thing is it can make skin fairer and help fade dark spots and pimple scars.
To make an egg white acne mask, you will need:
- 2 to 3 medium-sized eggs
- Wire whisk (optional)
Directions: Start by separating egg whites from yolk. In a bowl, beat or whisk the egg white until it becomes foamy. With your face washed and dried, apply the first layer of egg white mask concentrating on acne prone areas. Let it sit for a few minutes. When it’s dry, apply the second layer. You can repeat the process until you’ve used all the egg white mask. Leave the mask on until it dries and wait for at least 20 minutes before rinsing your face. When rinsing, use lukewarm water to thoroughly wash off the mask.
- Orange peel acne mask. Oranges and other citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C and citric acid that can rejuvenate the skin. It is also an astringent that helps exfoliate the skin, preventing dead skin cells from forming and clogging pores.
To make an orange peel acne mask, you will need:
- 2 to 3 orange peel (washed with clean water)
- Fresh water
Directions: Using a clean food processor or grinder like mortar and pestle to grind or pound the orange peels and add water little by little until it reaches a paste-like consistency. With your face washed clean and dried, apply orange peel mask, putting a thicker layer on areas with acne. Let it sit and dry for 20 minutes. Wash with lukewarm water and pat dry. Apply moisturizer to avoid possible skin dryness.
- Strawberries and honey acne mask. Not known to many, strawberries are high in salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is widely used in acne products because of it’s capability to fight acne bacteria, soothe inflamed acne, renew skin fast, and tighten pores. Honey, on the other hand, is a good skin moisturizer and also contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
To make strawberries and honey acne mask, you will need:
- 3 fresh strawberries
- 2 tsp. natural raw honey
Directions: Wash and clean the strawberries. Mash it well and mix it with 2 tsp. of honey. Mix well. Wash face and pat dry. With your clean finger tips, apply the mask gently all over your face focusing on acne-prone areas. Let the mask sit on your face for 20 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry with clean towel before putting on a good, non-comedogenic facial moisturizer.
There are several factors that can cause an acne breakout. We listed 4 things that cause an acne breakout that you might not have noticed.
- Your medications. Your breakout, without knowing it, may be caused by the medicines that you are taking. You might want to check your medicine cabinet and verify prescribed drugs. Prescribed drugs or medicines that have steroids cause acne breakout. Prednisone, a tablet steroid, is widely prescribed to treat allergies and arthritis. Other drugs that can cause acne are those that contain lithium and androgen.
- Your beauty products. Watch out on what you are using on your face. Your makeup and other cosmetic products may have ingredients that can aggravate your skin when applied on a regular basis. Also, your makeup brush and pads may contribute to skin irritation. Do not sleep with your makeup on. Make sure to wash your face before sleeping to avoid irritating your skin. To further avoid acne irritation, it is also good to use mild and skin-friendly beauty products.
- Your workout clothes and gears. Working out or exercising can make you sweat. Sweat and tight outfits can cause irritation if the skin is exposed to it for a long period. Make sure to hit the shower right after exercising to let the skin breathe and to wash off dirt and oil. Also, make sure that your workout gears such as the yoga mat is clean before and after using it.
- You touching your face a lot. Do not or avoid touching your face. Without you knowing it, your hands carry lots of bacteria that can cause an acne breakout. Aside from that, touching your skin or playing with your acne (rubbing, squeezing) can make infection worse by pushing bacteria deep into the skin. Touch your skin only when applying medication and do it gently.
Best Acne Solutions
If you can’t stop an acne breakout with simple, natural home remedies, it would be better to try over-the-counter medication or consult a dermatologist for prescribed treatment. Here are the 3 best acne solutions that can resolve your acne breakout.
- Benzoyl Peroxide. The most commonly prescribed acne solution. This comes in the form of gel, cream, lotion, or wash. Aside from its antibacterial properties, benzoyl peroxide is capable of bringing oxygen deep into the skin which can aid in killing 99.9% of acne-causing bacteria. This comes in different strengths: 2.5%, 5%, and 10%, though it is said that the effectiveness of benzoyl peroxide is just the same regardless of concentration. Side effects such as redness, itching, and dryness are expected in the first few weeks of use.
- Oral antibiotics. These medications help stop P. Acne or acne bacteria and is normally a pill taken once daily. Few examples are doxycycline, levofloxacin, and minocycline. Aside from killing acne bacteria, oral antibiotics also help in reducing acne inflammation. Side effects are nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, upset stomach, and diarrhea.
- Tretinoin. Tretinoin is a product of combining retinoic acid and vitamin A acid. It comes in forms of gel, cream, and liquid with various strengths. Aside from acne, tretinoin is also used to treat sunburns and wrinkles. This medication is usually applied once daily. Common side effects are skin irritation, excessive redness, peeling, swelling, and crusted skin.