The most common of all headaches is the tension type. This can be described as a feeling of a tight band wrapped around the head. While the cause of this health condition is not really final, there are symptoms that can help identify the problem before it actually transpires. Among the most known ones is dull pain in the head, pressure or tightening on the sides and back of the head, as well as a tenderness on the neck, scalp, and shoulder muscles. The treatment of this headache is easy and is usually administered at home. But there is a measure of prevention of tension headaches that can also be administered at home.
Prevention of tension headaches can be in the form of natural and medical.
Natural Prevention of Tension Headaches:
- Indulge in healthy lifestyle. Having a healthy lifestyle is always beneficial, whether or not fighting a disease. Taking enough rest, sleeping well, and doing exercise are very useful in making the body fit and strong. It is also recommended not to stay late at night or indulging in different vices. Doing so will surely help in keeping the overall health being of a person, thus away from any form of sickness even as common as tension headaches.
- Enjoy balanced diet. What we eat represents what we are so to be healthy, it is a must to consume healthy foods and drinks. Drinking eight glasses of water on a daily basis will definitely help improve one’s being, as well as eating vegetables and fruits which are rich in vitamins and minerals that the body needs to fight diseases. Processed foods should be taken moderately, if not completely stay clear of these types of foods. These are unhealthy and usually loaded with all the unwanted nutrition.
Prevention of tension headaches with medical help
- Tricyclic antidepressants. People who are known to have periods of tension headaches store amitriptyline and protriptyline or tricyclic antidepressants. These are their last resort whenever symptoms of a headache start to show. While known to be very effective, these antidepressants can cause some serious side effects, including constipation, drowsiness, and even dry mouth.
- Other antidepressants. Some antidepressants are also very effective forms of prevention of tension headaches. The list includes venlafaxine, better known as Effexor XR and mirtazapine or what more people know as Remeron. These antidepressants can help prevent tension headaches, and thus are recognized as preventive medicines to the condition.
- Anticonvulsants and muscle relaxants. Among the anticonvulsants and muscle relaxants that are always prescribed to tension headache patients is topiramate which is more known as Topamax. It is usually recommended as preventive measure as soon as the symptoms start to show to a person who is known to have periods of a tension headache.
Prevention of tension headaches is not a difficult thing to do if a person will only follow the natural, as well as medical measures that are listed above. For more information on this, it is still best to see a doctor.